A company is defined by its workforce. If you have a dedicated, committed and hard-working employee base who cares about the mission of the company, you are bound to receive a higher quality of work.
A lot of investment goes into hiring an employee. It is recommended that you are extremely sure of who you are hiring and trusting with the work that your company does.
Creating a process of elimination is beneficial in understanding all the strengths, weaknesses and skills of an applicant. The following may help you with hiring the best employees for your company:
- Write an impressive job description:
Writing a job description is the only point of attraction for a potential employee. By reading the job description will a potential employee understand whether they want to work for the company. Selling the position is vital to source employees effectively. The job description should not only contain the responsibilities to avoid ambiguity but also tell applicants the benefits they will receive by working with the company.
- Source the applicants
Sourcing the applicants is more than just posting an ad on classifieds. Following sourcing strategies can be followed:
- Use LinkedIn when in need of senior and experienced employees:LinkedIn being a huge professional network is home to numerous qualified applicants looking for employment. Interested employees send in their resumes to a professional posting on the company page.
- Employee referrals:Asking employees for referrals is one of the best ways to source applicants. Employees know the company very well and understand the kind of work that needs to be done. Thus they will suggest applicants who they think will fit in best into the company culture and will be able to do the work well.
- Get in touch with people you have worked with in the past:Hiring someone you have already had a pleasant experience working with is advantageous in a variety of ways. You will know their working style, their personality as well as their strengths and weaknesses.
- Approach local colleges for alumni contacts:Alumni from local colleges can be targeted effectively on the basis of courses done and teacher recommendations.
- Paid Internships:A lot of colleges have internship experience as a compulsory part of their course. Therefore internships attract a lot of applicants. Paid internships are a good method to understand the intern’s personality and if he or she is cut out for the company.
- Send a task
You can have various steps that lead to a final interview that test the skills and competencies of the client. Sending a task related to the kind of work that will be handled by the employee should tell you how the employee will perform going ahead.
- Background check
Follow the task with a strong background check. Calling up contacts provided as part of resumes, cover letters and letters of recommendation is done in order to understand past behaviours. It is a well-known fact that employees will perform the same way they have been in previous years. You could also go through an applicant’s social media pages. Even though eliminating an applicant based on their social media profile is not recommended, going through their pages could give a good insight on their personality. Understanding employee sincerity and seriousness ensures a quality hire. This method is one of the ways to determine the same.
- Ask the right questions in the interview
There is a general perception that skills are the primary aspect to review while hiring someone. However more important things such as personality, drive, sincerity and willingness to work hard are ignored. Asking applicants questions that determine how they will react in pressure situations, how they have overcome challenges and learnt from mistakes makes for a good strategy for elimination. Skills can be learnt. But a personality is very difficult to change. Make sure that along with the Human Resource employees, you are interviewing the applicants yourself as well. This communicates the seriousness of the role and you get to choose the applicant who you think fits best.
- Market the job
Give applicants the freedom to ask questions at the end of the interview so as to clear all their doubts. Just as in the job description, tell them how this particular position will be of advantage to them.
Hiring the best should definitely be a significant goal especially for a start-up. An employee indicates a huge amount of investment at a stage where finances are everything. The first few employees should definitely be hard workers and willing to delve in areas other than their expertise as well. Start-ups require employees to work on tasks in a variety of areas. Quality employees will not run away from such situations and will ensure that the company runs like a well-oiled machine.