It is a proven fact that clutter in our surroundings often becomes a barrier to our productivity. The more organized our office space is, the happier and productive we become. One of the best techniques to do so is going the Feng Shui way.
Literally translated, Feng means wind and Shui means water. Feng Shui aims to harmonize our built environment with our natural environment to lift up the space’s energy and allow for growth. The technique has been proven to work and create a positive and creative atmosphere, perfect for one’s work life. Let’s look at how they can be used in office spaces.
What should be the fixed desk made of as per Feng Shui?
Feng Shui has a lot to do with the texture of the table, and the recommended one is wooden. As opposed to a glass desk where the energy movement is too fast, a wooden desk helps bring in the calmness of nature to our desk. But if you already have a glass or metal desk, there are cures to it: incorporate a natural element on it, like a plant or some fresh flowers.
Should you go for a fixed desk or a flexible desk?
Both options have their own benefits under Feng Shui; it all depends on what your goal is. For instance, the flexible shape of the desk allows a free flow of creativity, while a rectangular one promotes growth.
Although the Feng Shui method is flexible and has a cure for everything, the least in their ladder of the shape of the desks are square and oval since they are believed to trap in energy and become obstacles to creativity.
Another essential aspect to consider apart from the shape is the position of the desk. Where you are placing yourself while working, affects your thoughts immensely. The ideal location as per Feng Shui is one facing the entrance or the door. You should be able to see who walks in and what is happening at the gate to feel aware. At the same time, within the room, place your desk farthest from the entrance in order to not feel distracted. Studies also reveal that the person sitting away from the entrance is also usually the most powerful one in the room.
What more can you do to make your space Feng Shui friendly?
- Keep your space neat and organized: This includes keeping all your books, documents, stationery, wires, etc. in an organized fashion. This can be done by forming clear piles or having desk organizers.
- Include colours: Nobody likes a dull working space. One of the biggest tips under the Feng Shui is to have colours around you that motivate you to work and de-stress. Green, blue, white and yellow are some of the most preferred colours for the same.
- Pay emphasis on the air quality: There is extensive focus on the kind of air we breathe since it directly affects our vibes. Surround your desk with air-purifying plants.
- Have productive walls: It is important not to let disorienting and confusing walls come in your way. Put up beautiful paintings or motivational posters.
- Have windows in your space: Windows become our passage of interacting with the natural world. Since Feng Shui is all about creating the right energy, windows contribute extensively to build that vibe and consequently increase productivity.
Be it a flexible desk or a pre-set one, Feng Shui has techniques and cures for everything! These Feng Shui friendly desk tips will help you boost your performance and feel more comfortable and motivated while working.
Apart from these things, one of the biggest factors that can help you get closer to the ultimate Feng Shui desk is channelizing personal energy the correct way. Take a few minutes out every day to introspect and meditate, and you will realize how powerful and liberating this self-introspection will make you feel!
If you are looking for a co-working space with vibrant aesthetics, strategic design and well thought out space, then pay a visit to one of the Awfis centres. The juxtaposition of earthy hues with practical space utilization ensure that you have a productive time working here. Browse through the various centres here.